[scona] VSE migration or upgrade

Chantal Thibodeau cthibodeau at onscope.com
Thu Oct 27 06:46:37 PDT 2011

Thank you all.

We have a lot a Smalltalk code still running, some with "real" user
interfaces.  The two applications we are looking at to move on are
- a search engine (so, processing code a lot, Strings and Collections, a
really lite interface to show the current resquest and that's all)
- a data analyzer, wich lookup in a SQL databases to compare Strings and
load tons of data in memory to generate summarized reports.

In those 2 apps, we are beginning to have problem with the memory space we
can allowed (1 go of ram at this time) and the file size limit (4 go).

So there is really no GUI issue.  I was wondering about the maturity of the
different "flavor" of Smalltalk, on the easiness of installation, repository
"embedded" or not, deployment.

We are currently working Java within Eclipse here and I saw briefly that it
can support Smalltalk.