[scona] Countdown to Competition

horrido via scona-list scona-list at scona.us
Sun Apr 19 11:01:05 PDT 2015

There are 10 days remaining in  our Kickstarter
<https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1520902870/canadian-smalltalk-competition>
and we are only 35% funded. I can't believe that the public doesn't feel it
is worthwhile to support a software competition with generous scholarship
prizes. What's the problem with supporting higher education???

This Smalltalk competition, if successful, could serve as a model for
similar contests in other countries. It would also raise the public profile
of Smalltalk to the benefit of everyone, include those in the SCONA
community. I intend to parlay this competition into a major PR event. I'm
already in contact with the IT press, local newspapers and television media.

What frustrates me is that I'm not getting much help from the general
Smalltalk community. The competition is our *last best* hope for promoting
Smalltalk...to incentivize the next generation of software developers to
learn this language. Let's not brush it off with such abandon.