[scona] Camp Smalltalk PDX - ideas of things to work on/do

Chris Cunnington via scona-list scona-list at scona.us
Fri Jul 24 05:26:51 PDT 2015

> On Jul 23, 2015, at 11:49 PM, Paul DeBruicker via scona-list <scona-list at scona.us> wrote:
>
> In the hopes of starting a discussion of things we could do during the three days (August 21-23) of Camp Smalltalk PDX. here are some ideas:
>

> - The hackerspace has 4 3d printers (3 maker bots and another one I can't remember the name of).  We could put them to use making Raspberry Pi cases (e.g. from thingiverse.com [1]) with a balloon or Squeak mouse logo or some such.  It looks like Squeak 5.0 runs on the Pi with few/no problems. Presumably Pharo & Cuis aren't that far off if at all.
>

> - If anyone is interested in "cloud" stuff I have a Seaside web app &  I'm working on a project to get it tested in multiple browsers automatically. The goal is to go from committing a Smalltalk code change and have a dozen or so Azure and AWS servers run in-browser Selenium tests.  I'm using Ansible [2] & Jenkins [3] for that to script everything together.  I'm hopeful to have it "done" before then but we'll see.
>

> - About 45 miles east of Portland there is a fish stand [4] where Native Americans sell salmon caught that day.  I intend to drive out there midday Saturday to get some for the cookout.  Anyone wanting to go for a scenic drive could go and we can stop by Multnomah Falls [5] to do a short hike & take in the view.
>

> - I'd like some help getting an LMDB [6] plugin running for Squeak/Pharo using the old BerkeleyDB plugin code.  My C skills are _weak_  but I'm willing to cram some study in before the weekend if anyone wants to work on that.

I’m also interested in making plugins. I’ve been looking at sqUnixExternalPrims.c a lot with gdb. My C knowledge is also fledgling.

I’m also very interested in Xtreams. I have VisualWorks running on my Mac. I’m trying to write to write a PEG parsing generator class in Squeak like the one in VisualWorks. This converts wiki syntax into HTML.

Chris